Choosing the right Furnace Filters for you.
Talk to an HVAC professional or read up on the subject online, and you will learn that regularly changing the furnace filter is vital. However, if you have looked in a home improvement store or better yet, shopped online for furnace filters for the home or business, you may be overwhelmed by the number of options that exist. Before you purchase your replacements, consider these five important considerations—and you will find it easier to choose the right product for you.
- Type of HVAC Unit – First, you need to know what type of HVAC unit you have. Modern high-efficiency units require different air filter sizes than older units do. Take note of the brand, model number and size of the existing filter before you shop for replacements.
- Specific Allergy or Medical Requirements – Do you, or anyone around you suffer from asthma, allergies or upper respiratory conditions? If so, you may need a higher level of filtration. Check for filters that offer this type of superior performance and keep everyone healthy.
- Climate - Humid weather is more likely to cause mold and mildew problems. Living in a hot or cold area may also mean you run your HVAC system more than someone who lives in a temperate area and may require you to replace your filter more frequently. All of these concerns should help you pick the right type of filter for your HVAC system.
- Local Air Conditions – Do you live in an area with heavy pollution, or do you live far from the city where the air is clear and fresh? The quality of the outdoor air can have a big impact on the efficiency rating requirements for your filter. Make sure you think about this when choosing your next replacement.
- Presence of Pets – Pets are a joy. However, with hair and pet dander, they can make the air in your home harder to breathe. If you have pets, you will want to look at filters designed specifically for use in homes with animals.
Once you take note of these specifics, you should find it a little easier to choose the right furnace filter for your particular needs. Keep in mind that there is never a need to guess at the right type of filter for the job.
For more helpful tips or if you have any questions, it is worth talking to an expert at Factory Direct Filters about the available options. We would love to help make sure you have the right furnace filters for fall—and all year round!